A healthy lifestyle involves eating healthy foods. If the food isn’t appealing you won’t want to eat it and will be tempted to go back to the ultra-convenient junk foods your taste buds still crave. So find recipes that help you successfully fashion a healthy lifestyle that is both enjoyable and durable.
Why This Salad is a Healthy Lifestyle Choice
So why is this salad a good choice for a healthy lifestyle?
Most salad dressings have very little in the way of nutrients and usually quite a bit of fat. In this asparagus side salad we take the opportunity to boost the fiber and nutrient content of the tomato lemon vinaigrette by adding bell peppers, carrot, cucumber, and onion.
This salad is a good source of: beta carotene, fiber, folate, potassium, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E.
Asparagus with Confetti Dressing
Serving suggestion: In addition to serving this as a side salad, this would make a very nice starter for a multi-course meal.
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
• 1/4 cup tomato juice
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as olive or canola oil
• 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 large red bell peppers, finely diced
• 1/2 cup shredded carrot
• 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
• 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
• 2 pounds asparagus
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tomato juice, lemon juice, oil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Add the bell peppers, carrot, cucumber, and onion, and stir to combine. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to blend the flavors.
2. In a vegetable steamer, steam the asparagus until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
3. Arrange the asparagus on a serving platter. Spoon the vegetable dressing over the asparagus. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Nutrition (per serving)
3g dietary fiber
Click here to get full recipe to help with a healthy lifestyle.