Weight loss can be assisted with the addition of chia seeds in your diet. Chia seeds may help with weight loss because they have lots of fiber and protein. They are also loaded with nutrients. Even though they are tiny, these seeds pack a powerful nutritional punch.
Healthy Nutrition in Chia Seeds
A one-ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDI.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDI.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDI.
- They also contain a decent amount of zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2.
How Chia Seeds Can Help with Weight Loss
Chia seeds can help with weight loss, reduce the risk of heart disease and strengthen your bones.
According to Healthline, chia seeds provide all of these health benefits:
- They are loaded with antioxidants.
- Almost all the carbs in chia seeds are in the form of fiber.
- They are high in quality protein.
- The high fiber and protein may help you with weight loss.
- They are high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Chia seeds may lower your risk of heart disease.
- They are high in bone strengthening nutrients.
- Chia seeds may reduce your blood sugar levels.
- They may reduce chronic inflammation.
Here’s a good breakfast recipe that incorporates chia seeds. Get your weight loss off to a good start.
Recipe for Blueberry Compote with Chia Seeds
Chia seeds swell to form a gel when moistened. They thicken the juices in this compote made with convenient frozen berries.
INGREDIENTS (2 servings)
- 1 cup Unsweetened Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp lemon zest (Freshly grated)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp Nonfat Vanilla Greek Yogurt (try Siggi’s)
- 2 tsp toasted sliced almonds
- Combine 1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries, 4 tsp sugar, 2 tsp chia seeds, 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest, and 1 tsp lemon juice in small saucepan.
- Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring frequently, until berries have thawed and juices have come to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until compote has thickened lightly and chia seeds have become translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup frozen blueberries. Divide compote among 2 dessert dishes.
- Top each serving with 1 Tbsp nonfat vanilla yogurt (Greek or regular) and 1 tsp toasted sliced almonds.
NUTRITION (per ½ cup serving)
3 grams total fat
5 grams fiber
20 grams sugars Click here for weight loss chia seeds recipe.