Healthy diet meal plans should include soups that are not loaded with cream. If you puree the soup, you’ll find that there is no need to add cream to thicken it up.
Root vegetables are great for cold weather dinners. Most of us like sweet potatoes because of their appealing taste. Since they’re a root vegetable, they’re starchy, but they also contain a lot of fiber and are a good protein source. Despite their sweet taste, one cup of sweet potatoes contains only about 114 calories.
Diet Meal Plans Include Nutritious Vegetables
These tasty and versatile vegetables are also packed with healthy nutrients.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A, in the form of beta-carotene. This important vitamin helps form and maintain healthy teeth, bones, soft tissue, mucus membranes, and skin.
There are many other reasons to add sweet potatoes to healthy diet meal plans. This tuber is also a good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6. Additionally, sweet potatoes contain potassium, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus.
Healthy Diet Meal Plans Include Pureed Soups
Add pureed soups to your healthy diet meal plans. Instead of adding cream to your soup, use spices and puree the soup and you’ll achieve a pleasant texture. The best way to puree soup is to use an immersion blender. This gadget allows you to liquefy the soup without transferring it out of the pot.
Sweet Potato Soup with Miso and Ginger
Try this tasty healthy soup that includes not only sweet potatoes, but also spicy ginger and miso paste. Add a drizzle of yogurt for a touch of tanginess.
This soup makes an easy weeknight meal, especially if you already have a few leftover roasted sweet potatoes in the fridge.
Ingredients for the soup: (Serves 4 to 6, makes about 8 cups)
• Olive oil
• 1 large yellow onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced, about 1/4 cup
• 3 cups mashed sweet potato (from about 3 roasted sweet potatoes)
• 3 tablespoons light miso
• 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup whole milk
• Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the spiced yogurt drizzle:
• 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
• 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
• 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent. Raise the heat a little and add the ginger. Fry until the ginger is fragrant, but don’t let the onions and garlic brown. Add the sweet potato mash and miso, and continue cooking until the puree is warmed.
2. Add the broth to the pan and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then cover, turn the heat to low, and let the soup cook for about 5 minutes to bring the flavors together. Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender.
3. Return to the heat and warm Whisk in the milk. Salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick, add a little extra milk until you get the consistency you want.
4. Whisk together the yogurt, garam masala, and maple syrup. Drizzle over the sweet potato soup to garnish.
Make it a Meal: For a more complete meal, add a salad or bulk up the soup with a grain such as chickpeas.
Nutrition (per serving)
Click here to read full recipe to add to your healthy diet meal plans.