Healthy nutrition is provided by eating a wide range of fruits and vegetables. Sweet potatoes are a good addition to a healthy diet.
The Healthy Nutrition in Sweet Potatoes
Looking for healthy nutrition? Ditch your French fries and grill up some sweet potatoes. You’ll save calories too!
One medium, baked sweet potato with skin (2 inches in diameter, 5 inches long, approximately 114 grams) provides healthy nutrition. Sweet potatoes are not only low in calories, but they’re a great source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. One sweet potato has only 103 calories, yet contains 4 grams of fiber and 2.3 grams of protein. It also provides these vitamins and minerals:
- 100 percent of your daily needs for vitamin A
- 25 percent of vitamin C
- 25 percent of vitamin B6
- 12 percent of potassium
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes also confer a multitude of health benefits, including:
- Protection form free radical damage
- Keeping your intestines healthy and lower your risk of colon cancer
- Promoting healthy gut bacteria
- Containing cancer-fighting antioxidants
- Supporting healthy vision
- Improving learning and memory
- Promoting a healthy immune system
Try this grilled sweet potato recipe as part of your healthy nutrition plan.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
These easy to make grilled sweet potatoes are a wonderfully healthy substitution for fries or roasted potatoes made with oil. Watch the grill so the potatoes get tender with just a little bit of char and not burnt. Serve with a side of mixed greens.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pound sweet potatoes (1 large or 2 medium), sliced lengthwise in 1/2-inch-thick slices
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, vinegar, honey, cilantro, shallot and pepper until blended.
- Prepare the grill for medium-heat cooking.
- Brush sweet potatoes on both sides with dressing. Place sweet potatoes on the grill.
- Grill, covered, about 6 minutes on each side or until tender and charred.
- To serve, slice in strips and drizzle with remaining dressing.
Nutrition: (per serving)
Click here for this healthy nutrition recipe.