Looking for a healthy tilapia recipe? Tilapia is a readily available mild white fish that is very nutritious. You can often find it seasoned and ready for cooking in the frozen food case at your local supermarket.
What Makes a Healthy Tilapia Recipe?
Some healthy ways to prepare fish include poaching, grilling, steaming, baking and broiling. This healthy tilapia recipe uses the broiling method. Another notable feature of this recipe is the light coconut milk. Light coconut milk has far fewer calories and less saturated fat.
BROILED TILAPIA WITH THAI COCONUT CURRY SAUCE
Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce has so much flavor, perfect over jasmine rice to absorb all the delicious sauce.
INGREDIENTS (makes 6 servings)
• 1 tsp dark sesame oil, divided
• 1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
• 1 cup chopped scallions
• 1 tsp curry powder
• 2 tsp red curry paste
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 4 tsp low-sodium soy sauce, use tamari for gluten-free
• 1 tbsp brown sugar
• 2 tsp Asian fish sauce
• 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 6 6-ounce tilapia fillets
• Cooking spray
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, pepper and scallions; cook 1 minute. Stir in curry powder, curry paste, and cumin; cook 1 minute.
3. Add soy sauce, sugar, Asian fish sauce, and coconut milk; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in cilantro or basil if using.
4. Brush fish with 1/2 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
5. Broil 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
6. Serve fish with sauce, rice, and lime wedges.
NUTRITION (per serving)
Click here for full healthy tilapia recipe.