Weight loss meal plans restrict indulgences. In order to stick to a weight loss meal plan you have to find substitutions that will satisfy your cravings.
Let’s say you’re diligently following your weight loss meal plan and today you would do anything for a piping hot bowl of fettuccine alfredo.
A classic version, like the one served at Olive Garden, includes butter, heavy cream, cream cheese and parmesan cheese. If you order it as an entrée and can’t resist eating all of it, you will have consumed 1291 calories.
That’s not the route you want to go to stick to a weight loss meal plan. Still, you have to satisfy your craving or eventually you will end up with that gooey, indulgent, over-sized entrée sitting in front of you at your local Olive Garden.
Here’s a healthier way to meet your need to eat something creamy without consuming more than half of your daily calories in one sitting.
Try This Recipe for Alfredo Bagel Bites as Part of your Weight Loss Meal
In this recipe, Alfredo sauce gets a makeover with cauliflower and Greek yogurt. Eat this Alfredo bagel bite for lunch or as a snack.
Ingredients (serves 6)
• Six 100-percent whole-wheat mini-bagels
• 3 cups (3 ounces) fresh cauliflower florets
• ¼ cup fat-free Greek yogurt
• ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange bagel halves, insides facing up on sheet.
3. Steam cauliflower for 3 minutes in large microwave safe bowl.
4. Transfer steamed cauliflower to a blender. Add yogurt, salt, garlic and ¼ cup mozzarella. Puree until smooth.
5. Spread cauliflower-yogurt Alfredo sauce evenly on bagels. Top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake 15 minutes until tops are golden. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition (2 bagel halves)
Click here for the full Alfredo Bagel Bites recipe to include in your weight loss plan.